India is a vast country with diverse cultures and diverse cuisine which is basically influenced by the geographical location and climate. In the North, the food is spicy and has more oil in it. Milk and milk products are used a lot. In the West, food cooked in Rajasthan is very spicy while the food of Gujarat is a little sweet.
Every region has its own unique methods of cooking and its own unique taste for vegetarian as well as non-vegetarian food items.
Non-vegetarian dishes are prepared in different ways with different spices in every region.
Non-vegetarian food with Indian spices
In Andhra Pradesh, a range of spices are used to cook non vegetarian food, commonly used spices are cinnamon and black pepper. A blend of red chillies and tamarind add a tangy taste to the cuisine of Andhra Pradesh.
- Tiger Prawns in Garlic Butter – This delicious dish of tiger prawns is prepared with garlic, parsely, mustard paste, pepper corns, and lemon juice.
- Chicken Methi Masala- In this recipe, chicken is prepared using ginger, garlic, turmeric, fenugreek leaves, cinnamon, clove, cardamom, coriander powder, red chilli powder, black pepper, cream, salt and onions.
In Assam, the food is not very spicy.
- Poora Haah – This dish of duck is cooked with egg, onion, bread, black pepper, potatoes, lime juice, green chillies, coriander, spring onions, vinegar, red chilli powder, oil and salt.
- Fish Fried Rice – Fish is commonly used in Assam. Rice is cooked with pieces of fish, coriander, cumin, turmeric, fenugreek, ginger, onion, coconut, bay leaves, oil and salt.
In Goa, the climate is tropical and the cuisine is rich in spices. Staple food of Goa is rice and fish.
- Goan Fish Curry – This dish is prepared with Kashmiri chillies, ginger, garlic, pepper corns, coriander seeds, methi seeds, tamarind, coconut, turmeric, cumin, green chillies and salt.
- Chicken Cafreal – It is a very popular chicken dish of Goa. It is green in colour and the chicken is made with green chillies, coriander leaves, ginger, garlic, khus khus, pepper corns, cinnamon, cumin, turmeric, tamarind and cloves.
In Jammu and Kashmir, the food is influenced by the cuisine from Persia, Central Asia and plains of North India. Mutton is the main item of Kashmiri cuisine. The food of Kashmiri Pandits is very scrupulous and they use spices like turmeric, red chillies, cumin, ginger and fennel. Onion and garlic is not used in their food.
- Rogan Josh – This fragrant dish of lamb was brought to Kashmir by the Mughals. Pieces of lamb are cooked in a gravy made with onions, curd, garlic, ginger, and spices like clove, bay leaves, cardamom, cinnamon, and lots of dried kashmiri chillies. Its aroma is strong but it is not hot, so it can be enjoyed by one and all.
Ramdev Food Products Pvt. Ltd offers a wide variety of spices, spice mixes and spice blends which are easy to use in any cuisine or recipe.
Indian food is full of variety, people living in diverse regions have different foods. A wide range of non-vegetarian dishes can be prepared using Indian spices which are good for health and add a lovely flavor to the dish.