Spices add taste, flavor, aroma, and colour to a dish. Along with all these they also have many health benefits. As a child whenever we had cold or stomach problem, our mother/ grand mother gave us some ‘home remedy’ which cured the problem.
Every Indian house hold has a number of remedies using ingredients from the kitchen and these are passed on from one generation to the next.
Home remedies using Indian spices:
- Fenugreek seed powder (3 gms) taken daily with curd is very good for dysentery.
- Soak dry amla till it becomes soft. Take equal quantity of black salt and mash them together. Make small tablets (1 cm in diameter) and have one half an hour after meals, twice a day.
- Ginger juice taken with half tea spoon of powder asafoetida helps.
- Orange juice taken with roasted cumin seeds and salt helps to relieve acidity.
- Include coriander, cardamom and mint in your daily diet to relieve emotional stress.
- Drink ginger tea – Boil ginger pieces in water for some time, then add sugar, tea leaves and milk. Drink it hot.
- One gram cinnamon powder added to a teaspoon of honey also helps to cure cold.
- To cure dry cough have a tea spoon of honey with one gram of turmeric.
- Chew a cardamom for a long time.
High Blood pressure
- After waking up in the morning have 1 or 2 pods of garlic with water.
- Mix equal quantities of honey, ginger juice and powdered cumin seeds (1 table spoon of each) and have it twice in a day.
- Ginger paste rubbed on the back helps to relieve the pain.
- Boil pepper powder (1 table spoon) and a pinch of turmeric in milk (1 cup). Drink this every day for some days to cure migraine.
- Black pepper (1 gm) taken with milk or honey two to three times a day helps to reduce headache.
- Make a paste of mustard powder and water and apply it on the palms of your hands and the soles of your feet.
- Massage your body with mustard oil before shower. It is very good particularly during the winter season.
- To stop the bleeding through any cut / wound, put turmeric powder on the affected area and tie a bandage. Turmeric acts as an antiseptic.
- Make a paste of cinnamon and water and apply it on the forehead to relieve headache due to cold winds.
- An apple eaten with salt (on empty stomach) is wonderful to cure headache.
High Blood Cholesterol
- Boil two table spoons of coriander seeds in a glass of water. Strain it after it cools. Drink this twice a day.
- Make a mixture of one tea spoon each of mint juice, lime juice, ginger juice and honey and drink it.
- Roast two cardamoms on a dry pan and powder them. Have it frequently with a spoon of honey. To Know more about Indian spices, visit – http://www.ramdevfood.com/
Home remedies are treatments given with natural ingredients / herbs as well as spices which are easily available in your kitchen. They cure the ailment and have no side effects.