An ancient Indian spice, cardamom or elaichi, has a strong exclusive taste and intense aroma. There are two main types of cardamoms, small green cardamom and big brown cardamom. It is one of the most expensive spices of India.
Cardamom belongs to the ginger family and its plant grows up to 12 feet tall. It is a common ingredient used in Indian cookery. It not only enhances the taste but also adds a beautiful aroma to the food along with its many health benefits.
Green Cardamoms – These are used whole as well as in powder form throughout India. The seeds inside the pod are rich in flavor. You need a small quantity in order to get that wonderful flavor. The pods must be stored as such since the flavor is lost rapidly when the seeds are exposed or ground. Grind small quantity of the spice just before adding it to the dish.
Green cardamoms are used in salty dishes like curry, rice, vegetables and in sweets and desserts as well along with almonds and saffron. It is also used in tea, ice creams and custards.
Brown Cardamoms – These are larger in size and the flavor is sweet lemony. It is used in curries, meat dishes and rice. It is one of the ingredients of Garam masala.
Health Benefits of Cardamoms
In Ayurvedic medicine cardamoms are used for treatment related to mouth ulcers, bad breath, digestive problems like loss of appetite, depression, nausea etc.
- Oral health – When chewed after a meal it acts as a breath freshener. It also helps to cure mouth ulcers and other infections of the mouth like the infection of teeth and gums. Chewing green cardamom helps to get rid of bad breath.
- Diuretic & Detoxification – Its diuretic property helps it to act as a detoxifier. It helps the body to get rid of waste, salt, excess water, toxins, calcium and urea collected in the kidneys. It also helps to clean the urinary tract.
- Depression – Drinking tea with cardamom helps to improve the mood and reduce depression. Add powdered cardamom to boiling water to prepare cardamom tea.
- Digestion – Cardamom is alkaline so it helps to neutralize digestive problems like acidity, gas, bloating, heartburn, constipation, loss of appetite etc. It stimulates the digestive system. Cardamom tea helps to relieve headache caused due to indigestion.
- Blood Pressure – Cardamom helps to lower blood pressure since these are diuretic and rich in fibre.
- Antioxidants – The vitamins, essential oils and phytonutrients found in cardamoms act as antioxidants. These help to clean up the free radicals and oppose cellular aging.
- Expectorant – People suffering from asthma benefit by cardamoms as these improve the circulation of blood to lungs.
- Improves voice – Cardamoms are beneficial to singers since it helps to improve the quality of voice.
It is not a secret anymore that Cardamom has a lot of medicinal and health values. Hence this spice is used by more and more people, not only in India but other countries as well. Ramdev Food is a reputed brand in the world of Indian Spices. For more details and availability of all types of spices, masalas and instant mixes, visit – http://india.ramdevfood.com/products-availability.html